About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
We are currently seeking a Maintenance Tech to work in our Albany, NY, facilities.
The position is hourly and includes benefits. Driving required. On occasion will perform work at properties on the Eastern New York Region's eastern corridor from Plattsburg to Poughkeepsie.
Under close supervision, the Maintenance Tech perform repairs and maintenance in plant or office facilities, or on machines and equipment. Typically perform work in one or more of the maintenance trades: carpentry, plumbing, painting, machine and equipment repair, electrical, sheet metal fabrication, and welding. The Maintenance Tech conducts routine, periodic, or special inspections to determine repair and maintenance work necessary to prevent breakdowns of facilities, machinery, and equipment. Use hand and power tools to test, inspect, troubleshoot, and repair machines and equipment. Use blueprints, sketches, layouts, wiring diagrams, drawings, and specifications. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
1. Maintain and repair organization's facilities and properties involving routine tasks and responsibilities.
2. Install and correct minor electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and structural problems.
3. Repairs appliances and equipment.
4. Paint structures and equipment as needed.
5. May move and store furniture and equipment.
6. Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
7. Operate and service boilers, chillers, motors, fans, pumps and related mechanical equipment.
8. Estimate time and material costs of various projects. Requisition new supplies and equipment.
9. May drive vehicle to other locations.
10. Document installation and repairs as required by regulatory agencies.
11. May plant and tend flowerbeds. Prune shrubs and trees to enhance growth and appearance.
12. May water lawns, shrubs and flowerbeds.
13. May spray trees, lawns, shrubs and flower beds with fertilizer and insecticides.
14. May rake and remove fallen leaves.
15. May sweep external walkways and staircases.
16. May remove snow using power removal equipment or shovel. Apply snow-melting chemical when necessary on company roads, walkways and outside staircases.
17. May keep drainage ditches and culverts free of obstructions
18. Perform other related duties as necessary.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
The duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Must be able to lift or move up to 75 pounds of weight; reach, bend, kneel, climb, push and pull; work in tight spaces. Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools and work with a variety of chemicals and solvents.
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an Exposure Determination 2 in view of the fact that the incumbent occasionally, on an unplanned basis, is required to work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components and/or human body fluids or tissue samples as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks.
High school diploma plus one to three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Related experience includes skill and knowledge of painting, HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, masonry and electrical work is required.
A valid driver's license and clean DMV record required. Must have basic writing and communication skills. Will be required to have basic computer skills.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights