Entry Level Phlebotomist
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****
Join us-Where your Career is a Force for Good!
Help saves lives every day with a phlebotomy & driving career at the American Red Cross. No experience needed!
Now offering a hiring bonus of $1500!
Mobile Phlebotomist Driver Summary
- Full Time, Union, $15.56/hour
- Variable Schedule - 2 consecutive days off
- Shift Details: Variable Schedule - 24/7 availability required as this region also conducts some late night/overnight blood drives. Schedule released 3 weeks in advance, plus last minute changes. 2 CDO (consecutive days off) after training.
- Paid Training is 7 weeks - a couple weeks of classroom training followed by a couple of weeks on-the-job instruction (usually at blood drives throughout the multi-county territory). Alternates back & forth between classroom/hands-on throughout the 7 week program. All classroom training is in Cleveland (even for "Non-driver" hires).
- Experience driving box trucks/large van preferred.
Are you seeking a full-time opportunity that makes a difference? Are you passionate about meeting new people? Do you want to have an impact in your community, across the country, and around the world? If your answer is "yes", then we invite you to become a Phlebotomist for the American Red Cross!
From transporting and setting up blood collection equipment at work sites, to drawing blood from donors, as a Phlebotomist-Driver with the American Red Cross you will work all aspects of blood drives at schools, offices & churches throughout the Cleveland and surrounding areas.
No Phlebotomy experience necessary-our paid training is a mix of classroom instruction and field practice.
To learn more about this role, watch this short video: A life-saving mission. A life-changing career. Join us.
Phlebotomist Driver Job Responsibilities
- Balance production, donor care & quality requirements to meet daily blood collection goals
- Take the time to personally connect with donors - listen to their stories and help them understand the value of their donation
- Be detail oriented all day, every day, to ensure that the blood you collect meets regulatory requirements and can be safely transfused
- Remain flexible to work a highly variable schedule that includes early start times, late end times, weekends & holidays to meet the needs of our blood drive sponsors and donors.
- Take care of your team members - show up for every shift and give 100% while you're there
- Contribute to a friendly and fun environment. Team up with your co-workers to keep our donors coming back again and again
- Interact in a positive, proactive and customer-focused manner with both internal and external customers, demonstrating care and compassion at all times
- Driving a box truck.
The aforementioned responsibilities of the Phlebotomist describe the general nature and level of work and are not an exhaustive list.
Phlebotomist Job Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Customer service experience, effective verbal communication, and public relations skills are required
- Ability to load and unload vehicles with or without reasonable accommodation
- Medical assistant or phlebotomy training preferred but not required
- A current, valid driver's license and good driving record is required
- Basic computer skills are required
- Experience driving box trucks/large van preferred.
- Physical requirements may include the ability to lift-up to 50 lbs., occasionally physically assisting donors experiencing an adverse reaction, as well as pushing or pulling heavy weights up and down ramps and stairs (potentially up to 250 lbs in weight and with up to 75-degree angles). Physical requirements may be performed in adverse weather conditions.
- All staff work as a team to setup and tear down the equipment required to conduct a mobile blood drive. This involves loading/unloading of vehicles, pushing carts up to 250 lbs, setting up beds and handling many totes containing equipment and snacks for the donors.
- Flexibility to work long, irregular hours and frequent schedule changes is required.
SCHEDULING: Red Cross collects blood during the week, on weekends and holidays. Red Cross provides work schedules 3+ weeks in advance, although changes may be necessary. Candidates must confirm availability for flexibility in scheduling.
Education requirements and or certification:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A current, valid driver's license with good driving record, reliable personal transportation & comfortable driving during winter months required for all hires.
- "Driver" hires must live within 45 minutes of the Cleveland office & comfortable with driving larger vehicles (ex. extended cargo van, box truck). "Non-driver" hires must live in a certain geography (ex. Akron/Parma) with travel as needed throughout the territory.
- Customer service experience and effective verbal communication skills are required.
- 24/7 availability required to work a variable schedule including early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays. Because our blood drives are mostly held throughout a multi-county territory start time and end times often vary. This particular district conducts some late night/overnight blood drives (ex. Amish donors, 24/7 plants).
- You will typically receive your work schedule 3 weeks in advance, last minute schedule changes are not uncommon. Staff have 2 consecutive days off each week (sometimes including 1 weekend day).
- Basic computer skills are desirable.
- Ability to load and unload vehicles with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Physical requirements may include the ability to lift up to 50 lbs., occasionally physically assisting donors experiencing an adverse reaction, as well as pushing or pulling heavy weights up and down ramps and stairs (potentially up to 250 lbs. in weight and with up to 75-degree angles).
- Physical requirements may be performed in adverse weather conditions.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights