Community Manager (Caribou, ME)
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross is a strong network of volunteers, donors and partners who are always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope; our communities are ready and prepared for disasters; everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products; all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
We are seeking a Community Manager for our Caribou, ME office, covering Aroostook, Co.
The Community Manager is a critical component of the American Red Cross regional team and infrastructure. The Community Manager is responsible for implementing the communications functions in local markets. It works to raise the visibility of the Red Cross to help communities understand how to access Red Cross services and supports all revenue generation activities of the organization. The Community Manager is responsible for volunteer recruitment, engagement and development, fundraising efforts, and relationship management within the defined chapter area of Aroostook County. Reporting to the Regional Executive, the Community Manager is the face of the Red Cross in their area. As a Community Manager, the individual works to raise the visibility of the Red Cross to help communities understand how to access Red Cross services and promotes local fundraising, disaster cycle services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services, Health and Safety and Volunteer Services.
- Serve as the face of American Red Cross in the community
- Recruit and manage volunteers
- Assist with fund raising
- Support blood drives
Volunteer Development (60%) Recruits, engages, develops and empowers local volunteer leaders to help achieve the mission metrics and mission support responsibilities in the area and across the region. Provides leadership for community volunteers and ensures a culture of inclusion.
Fundraising (20%) Supports fundraising efforts of Maine region through the following: manages local United Way relationship, and manages select local major donors. Cultivates and nurtures major donors to include select individual and corporate donors, as appropriate
Relationship management (20%): Enhance community presence - builds/gains or rebuilds/regains presence in defined home market. Serves as Face of Red Cross in defined home market including managing key local media partners. Cultivates, manages and stewards community including elected officials and key government partners. Cultivates, manages and stewards other key community stakeholders as appropriate, especially those that bridge to volunteer partners and engagement.
1. Strategy: Implements a strategic plan that is aligned with broader corporate communication and that supports service delivery and revenue generation efforts across all lines of service.
2. Public Affairs: Acts as on-the -record spokesperson when appropriate and supports executives and Board of Directors as the face of the Red Cross. Leads and supports all Disaster Public Affairs activities for the region through the entire disaster cycle. of preparedness, response and recovery. Ensures that duty is delegated to appropriately trained staff or volunteers. Supports Disaster Public Affairs efforts across the division, and potentially, on the national level. May be required to deploy to support disaster response operations outside their region or may be tasked to help with public affairs volunteer training and development across the division. Develops and maintains a Disaster Public Affairs strategy and volunteer capacity within the region that supports the entire disaster cycle (preparedness, response, recovery).
3. Media Relations: Develops and implements a social media strategy for the region that reflects the priorities of the region and is aligned with the corporate social media strategy. Maintains positive relationships with members of the media across the region and works with executives and other staff to manage media efforts and relationships across multiple media markets in a region. Produces relevant local content for regional web and social platforms. Participates in the distribution and preparation of press materials.
4. Internal Communications: Supports executive level internal and external communication initiatives.
5. Management: Manages and leads assigned volunteers. Manages a team of volunteers that can assist with all aspects of regional communication activities, including Disaster Public Affairs, preparedness communication efforts, social media and support for fundraising or event communications. Supervises and delegates responsibilities to communication volunteers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or related field required. Degree or combination of education and experience, which would provide equivalent background.
Experience: Minimum 3 years public relations experience required. Experience working with media as an on-the-record spokesperson is preferred. Demonstrated experience managing and interacting with the public social media platforms for an organization is required. Minimum of 3 years of experience implementing and advancing social service programs. Demonstrated ability to exercise good and timely judgement in complex situations. Demonstrated ability for strong communication and influencing skills along with public speaking and writing. Demonstrated ability to build and sustain community relationships/partnerships. Proven fundraising experience through building relationships and influence.
Management Experience: Minimum 1 year staff management experience. Experience working in an environment requiring flexibility and managing change.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding communication skills (oral and written) required. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Proficient with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiarity with relationship management software, including Salesforce is desired.
Other: Demonstrates strong commitment and passion for mission of American Red Cross.
Travel: 25%+. May involve travel both within local area and across region. Driver's license required.
May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights