Clinical Services Nurse Specialist - RN Required
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
At the American Red Cross, you have a direct impact on a meaningful mission. When you join our Biomedical team, you can help save lives every day. You'll be part of a like-minded team that shares a passion for making a difference and a work environment that supports growing, learning and succeeding.
The American Red Cross National Capital and Greater Chesapeake Region is seeking a Clinical Services Nurse Specialist to be based at the NIH in Bethesda, MD. This is a full time, hourly paid position. RN required!
Responsibility to perform clinical apheresis procedures. These procedures may include, but are not limited to, plasma exchanges, red cell exchanges, platelet and white cell reductions, photo pheresis and hematopoietic progenitor cell collections. Demonstrate excellence in customer service and public relations to promote a positive professional image of the American Red Cross. Works independently with attention to detail and possesses the necessary knowledge of all aspects of daily operations. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
1. Perform all phases of therapeutic apheresis procedures, ensuring safe and appropriate care of patient.
2. Assess patient status relative to therapeutic apheresis, prior and during procedures, utilizing nursing process.
3. Patient assessment to include laboratory testing results and other clinically significant procedures.
4. Coordinate closely with physicians and nurses at a variety of hospitals to arrange therapeutic apheresis treatments and facilitate coordinated care.
5. Evaluate patient medication for compatibility and safety of apheresis procedure and determine when to contact the physician.
6. Demonstrate knowledge and compliance with all ARC departmental and organizational standard operating procedures, policies, practices and regulations.
7. Complete necessary training and demonstrate competency to perform each job function.
8. Explain, as needed, clinical apheresis procedures to patients and their family and other attending healthcare professionals.
9. Assemble, restock, QC and maintain supplies and equipment in a state of readiness to maintain a clean, safe and efficient work environment.
10. If appropriate, operate American Red Cross vehicles in compliance with all applicable regulations.
Scope: Individual contributor that works under close supervision. Uses technical knowledge to solve routine types of problems.
Education: Bachelor's degree required. Registered nurse with current state licensure as required.
Experience: Minimum 2 years related experience in medical/surgical or critical care nursing is required or equivalent combination of education and related experience required. Current CPR certification. Previous apheresis or dialysis experience is preferred.
Management Experience: N/A
Skills and Abilities: Good vein selection and venipuncture skills are essential. Good verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively discuss procedures and medical issues with patients, families, and physicians. Customer service experience, effective verbal communication and public relation skills are preferred. A current valid driver's license and good driving record are required. Ability to work on a team.
* Combination of candidate's education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description's minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
Preferred Qualifications: RN with Therapeutic Apheresis experience preferred. Central Line experience preferred. Must have current CPR Certification. Experience conducting a sterile procedures and working in a research setting preferred. Must know patient privacy laws.
The duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights