Clinical Lab Scientist - IRL (ASCP MT, CLS, or MLS)
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
Come bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services.
We are looking for a full-time Medical Technologist to work in our PHILADELPHIA, PA reference lab performing specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients.
This will be a day-shift position working Tuesday - Saturday. Extensive training will take place on day-shift Monday - Friday.
As a Medical Technologist at the Red Cross, you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility.
Opportunities for advanced testing and on-going education are part of this unique job opportunity. Your passion for blood banking and advanced case testing will be given the resources and time needed make a difference in the lives and health of patients in area hospitals.
Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other Medical Technologist duties may include:
• Managing receipt, coordination, shipment, and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
• Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
• Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
• Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
• Performing maintenance, repair, and validation of laboratory equipment and software
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable
• Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management
MT or CLS (ASCP) and/or BB (ASCP) /equivalent and 4 years IRL experience. SBB preferred.
• Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work on a team. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods.
Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays, and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping, and bending for extended periods. Lift, pull, push, and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires.
As part of the world's largest humanitarian network, the American Red Cross places top priority on the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, blood donors, and those who receive our aid and services. Our commitment to public health is unwavering-both during the COVID-19 pandemic and year-round.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights