Category Manager * Work from home
About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross exists to provide compassionate care to those in need. Our network of generous donors, volunteers and employees share a mission of preventing and relieving suffering, here at home and around the world, through five key service areas: Disaster Relief, Support for America's Military Families, Lifesaving Blood, Health and Safety Services and International Services.
The American Red Cross is a $3.5 Billion dollar organization with 30,000 employees across the United States. Approximately 100,000+ volunteers work to assist with disaster relief, blood drives, instructors for safety courses, Armed Forces Case Worker and the list goes on. The Red Cross is always looking for people with various backgrounds, talents and skill levels. Our needs vary based on the situation but we look to do our best to accommodate an individual's desire to get involved.
Job Description and Qualifications Summary:
This is a key leadership role within Supply Management at the Red Cross.
The ideal candidate has solid Strategic Sourcing & Category Management experience of Medical Products and Services categories. Candidate competencies should include project management and supplier management (e.g. Supplier Relationship Management/SRM) in order to facilitate development of solid, written Category Strategies endorsed by stakeholders.
Red Cross Medical Projects and Services Category expenditures is approximately $500-800 Million annually.
Responsibilities and Accountability
Working in collaboration with stakeholders, this role leads or co-leads the Red Cross Biomedical (Healthcare) Category Team in developing, executing & maintaining robust, bench-marked written Category Strategies:
- Develop, champion, and ensure implementation of Category Management principles that optimize Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for the Red Cross
- Use of influence model to gain stakeholder buy-in. Not command and control.
- Lead improvement in effectiveness, efficiency and control for Healthcare Spend Category
- Facilitate development and execution of written Category Strategies as endorsed by stakeholders and the Red Cross Stakeholder Advisory Board
- Accountable for cost savings improvement and responsible for communicating performance 'Progress v Plan'. Expected results are a minimum 3-5 X+ ROI on total cost of team (salary plus benefits)
- Accountable for continuous improvement in Category in terms of risk mitigation and improved financial performance
- Facilitate supplier development/relationships collaboratively with support and business end-users to ensure continuity of goods and services that meet or exceed the quality, service, and cost performance standards of the company
- Work collaboratively with Contract Management, Buyers, Category Managers and users to determine 'right' sourcing strategy based on supply segmentation model
- Facilitate development of written, 'fact-based' negotiation strategies
- Develop and maintain category management policies and procedures
- Work collaboratively with business stakeholders to monitor and ensure compliance with Red Cross procurement policies and procedures by effectively communicating these policies to internal and external stakeholders, and monitoring and managing enterprise-wide compliance
- Collaborate effectively across different organizational levels, functions, businesses, and geographies to realize Business goals and objectives
- Facilitate development of market analysis (internal and external) of category via market/benchmark tools (e.g. CEB, GPO's, Hackett, etc.) and environmental scanning
- Accountable for Performance Reporting of team goals and accomplishments
- Viewed as 'Trusted Adviser' to Leader of Biomed & Logistics Supply Management, Head of Supply Management and the various Biomed Business leaders.
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Management or related field required
- Master's degree a plus
- Professional certification (e.g. C.P.M., CPSM, CIRM, CPIM, etc.) preferred
- 7+ years procurement experience, 5+ years' experience managing categories and spend within large organization (annual revenue $1+ Billion preferred) with track record
- Experience in Blood collection, testing, manufacturing and distribution is a plus
- Experience in Lean/Sigma, continuous improvement principles & practices
- Proficiency in Req-to-pay tools, such as Coupa, SAP, Ariba, Oracle, etc.
- Experience using spend analytics tools, such as SpendHQ, Coupa, Zycus, Jaggaer, etc.
- Exceptional computer (Microsoft office) skills, advanced knowledge of Excel (Pivot tables and V-lookup functions), and knowledge of Access and PowerPoint
- Managerial courage...willing to take a stand, even if unpopular
- Solid leadership skills that include advanced collaboration and influence skills
- Strong ability to build relationships across functions and at all leadership levels
- Ability to aggressively take the lead on implementation of savings opportunities that affect numerous Lines of Business (LOB)
- Ability to develop business cases, presentations & stakeholder communications
- Ability to clearly communicate strategy, plans and issues across the organization
- Strong financial acumen coupled with a solid understanding of business structures, processes, and information flow in a multi-business unit organization
- Continuous learner and ability to consider 'The Art of the Possible'
- Practices learning from '5 Dysfunctions of Team' (Patrick Lencioni)
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights