About the Job
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Building Engineer (Maintenance Tech II) to work in our New York, NY location.
Position is non-union, hourly, plus benefits. No overtime. Must have valid Driver's License.
The Building Engineer repairs and maintains office facilities, or works on machines and equipment, in the Greater New York Region. Typically performs work in one or more of the maintenance trades: carpentry, plumbing, painting, machine and equipment repair, electrical, sheet metal fabrication, and welding. Conducts routine, periodic, or special inspections to determine repair and maintenance work necessary to prevent breakdowns of facilities, machinery, and equipment. Uses hand and power tools. Tests, inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs machines and equipment. Uses blueprints, sketches, layouts, wiring diagrams, drawings, and specifications. May train or check the work of other facilities staff. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
Specific responsibilities: Respond to boiler or HVAC unit issues; do basic plumbing work; troubleshoot other building system issues; assist with maintenance problems on properties throughout the Greater New York Region.
NOTE: Prefer licenses in Fire Safety/Emergency Action Plan for NYC, All-City Sprinkler, and All-City Standpipe.
1. Maintain and repair organization's facilities and properties involving routine tasks and responsibilities. May move and store furniture and equipment. Repairs mechanical, electrical, plumbing or building services equipment. Paint structures and equipment as needed. Patches minor holes and cracks in walls and ceilings. Repairs or replaces concrete floors, steps and sidewalks. Paints structures and equipment as needed. Document installation and repairs as required by regulatory agencies.
2. Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
3. Install, operate and correct/service boilers, chillers, motors, fans, pumps and related mechanical equipment. Estimate time and material costs of various projects. Requisition new supplies and equipment. May plant and tend flowerbeds. Prunes shrubs and trees to enhance growth and appearance, water lawns, shrubs and flowerbeds and will spray fertilizer and insecticides.
4. May rake and remove fallen leaves, sweep external walkways and staircases and may remove snow using power removal equipment or shovel. Applies snow-melting chemical when necessary on company roads, walkways and outside staircases.
5. May drive vehicle to other locations.
Education: High School or equivalent required. May require a trade license.
Experience: Minimum 3 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required. Related experience includes skill and knowledge of painting, HVAC, carpentry, pluming, masonry and electrical work is required.
Skills and Abilities: May be required to have basic computer skills. Exemplary interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Skills and knowledge of painting, HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, masonry and electrical work is required. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Will require regional travel. Current valid driver's license required.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights