Senior Software Development Engineer
About the Job
"Alexa, how old was Abraham Lincoln when he was President?"
"Alexa, tell me when the Super Bowl starts."
"Alexa, what’s the tallest building in North Dakota?"
Do you want to pioneer cutting edge voice technology? Build new ways for voice assistants to make life easier and more fun for customers? Leverage and optimize one of the largest knowledge graphs in the world? Our Knowledge Engine team does just that.
Our teams power the majority of fact-based questions answered by Alexa today. We’ve built the deepest and most flexible knowledge graph on the planet, containing billions of entities, hundreds of billions of facts, and an extensible presentation layer used to build customer delighting experiences.
A day in the life
As a senior developer on our team, you'll set technical direction for all parts of the Q&A pipeline - natural language understanding, language and visualization generation across multiple languages, knowledge storage and representation optimized for low latency & high throughput access, exposing stable APIs to developers to empower innovative products, and much more.
Impact you'll have:
· Have your code used daily by Alexa customers around the world
· Define new features and services
· Be seen as a technical leader in our organization & mentor other engineers on our team
What you'll do:
· Work on a quickly growing team
· Own feature design, prioritization, and implementation to influence our technical roadmap
· Commit code several times a day that is immediately seen/heard by Alexa users
· Scale launches across all content categories, all languages, and all existing devices.
Who you'll work with:
· Curious and driven software engineers and product managers
· Software developers across several Alexa teams, including Alexa's core understanding and answering services
· Industry leaders in NLP across our Alexa AI teams
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 4+ years of professional software development experience
· 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS· 5+ years of professional software engineering experience building scalable production application
· Proficiency in SQL (MySQL) and/or NoSQL databases
· A love for turning performance up to 11
· A desire to be part of a team that is building world-changing products
· A passion for learning, occasionally failing, and then learning once again