The Rehabilitation Therapist provides an aspect of active treatment, involving individualized assessment, treatment planning, treatment implementation and evaluation to restore, remediate or rehabilitate specific aspects of physical, cognitive, emotional, social, and spiritual functioning to assist patients who have medical, psychiatric, developmental disabilities, substance abuse, sensory impairments or other disabling conditions to improve functioning and independence in life activities. The recreation therapy intervention facilitates quality of life with the development, maintenance, growth, and expression of a healthy leisure lifestyle. The continuum of services includes treatment, leisure education, and recreation participation.Southern California Hospital at Culver City has been taking care of generations of Culver City and west LA residents. We are a full-service, acute care hospital with a 24/7 emergency department and nationally recognized patient safety. Now at 420 beds, SCH-CC is a general acute care hospital that utilizes many of the latest medical treatments and technologies. The hospital offers a wide range of inpatient and outpatient acute care services, including an orthopedic center, cardiovascular services, acute rehabilitation, sub-acute care, psychiatric care and chemical dependency programs. Additionally, SCH-CC operates a 24-hour emergency services center, which serves as a paramedic receiving station and is staffed by board-certified emergency physicians and nurse specialists.
- Conducts an individualized assessment to collect data to determine a course of action for treatment. Plans and develops an individualized treatment plan and identifies goals and objectives with treatment interventions to restore and improve function from the disability. Plans, leads, and engages the patient in structured therapeutic groups according to their treatment goals. Counsels and educates patients. Ensures documentation and outcomes are recorded for each group. Attends required milieu meetings.
- Reassess and evaluates patient’s progress relative to the treatment plan, based on the changes in the interventions and patient responses. Modifies the patient treatment plan and interventions as needed. Develops a discharge plan based on the outcomes of the treatment. Attends interdisciplinary, treatment planning, and rehab. meetings as scheduled.
- Develops a discharge plan in collaboration with the patient and significant others to continue treatment upon discharge. Facilitates mainstreaming the patient into the community with recommended resources.
- Ensures patient safety in all groups. Maintains accountability for equipment according to hospital policy to ensure patient safety. Ensures infection control and HIPPA compliance.
- Ethical code of conduct adhering to providing patient services that are professional. Provide empathy, compassion, understanding, and support to patients. Demonstrate care appropriate for the age, cultural, religious, gender, or ethnic background. Engages in caring behaviors, taking conscious ownership for work and takes deliberate/thoughtful actions regarding how to best carry out interactions with the patient, families, physician, and co-workers.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree in related fields such as, Art, Music, Dance, Psychology, Sociology, Kinesiology, and Education from an accredited college or university required.
Minimum Experience: One (1) year of paid clinical experience in a psychiatric and/or acute care hospital or community setting. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to work variable shifts including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Ability to maintain flexibility and composure in a constantly changing environment. Previous two (2) years’ experience as a Recreational Therapist in an acute care hospital or community setting preferred. Bilingual skills to communicate effectively with patients and families preferred.
Req. Certification/Licensure: Current Certification as a Recreation Therapist (National, CTRS or State, RTC or eligible for certification) required. OR Certification/License as an Art Therapist, Music Therapist or Dance Therapist required. AHA Basic Life Support required. Hospital Fire and Life Safety Card (Hollywood and Van Nuys only) within 30 days after start of employment. Management of Assaultive Behavior Certification upon hire.