The Licensed Vocational Nurse performs a wide variety of patient care activities under the direction of registered nursing personnel. Nursing duties include participating in the planning of patient care, assisting with examinations, procedures and treatments, administering medications within scope of practice, and following medication management per policy. Duties also include assisting with ADL's, taking of patients' vital signs, and recording results on patients' charts.Southern California Hospital at Culver City has been taking care of generations of Culver City and west LA residents. We are a full-service, acute care hospital with a 24/7 emergency department and nationally recognized patient safety. Now at 420 beds, SCH-CC is a general acute care hospital that utilizes many of the latest medical treatments and technologies. The hospital offers a wide range of inpatient and outpatient acute care services, including an orthopedic center, cardiovascular services, acute rehabilitation, sub-acute care, psychiatric care and chemical dependency programs. Additionally, SCH-CC operates a 24-hour emergency services center, which serves as a paramedic receiving station and is staffed by board-certified emergency physicians and nurse specialists.
- Administers patient medications, including basic IV management, within scope of practice, and participates in treatments and procedures in a safe, effective and age-appropriate manner. Recognizes changes in patient conditions, taking appropriate action and documenting intervention. Uses knowledge of aseptic techniques in performance of treatments, such as sterile dressing, irrigation, and cauterizations. Effectively collaborates with the health care team to intervene, and advocate for the safety of the patient, as necessary.
- Assists patient with hygiene, elimination, routine skin care, comfort measures and other Activities of Daily Living (ADL), in consideration of patient age, gender, culture and stated preferences, maintaining patient privacy and respect at all times. Maintains a clean & safe environment. Ensures Infection Control procedures and HIPAA compliance.
- Performs assigned nursing duties for the safety, comfort and well-being of patients. Accurately measures and records vital signs. Assists with patient care activities including specimen collection, turning and positioning, and patient transportation. Documents all activities as required.
- Empathizes with patient, expresses compassion and understanding for the situation and demonstrates care which is appropriate for the age, and cultural, religious, or ethnic background. Actively engages in caring behaviors, taking conscious ownership for work and takes deliberate/thoughtful actions regarding how to best carry out relationships with the patient, patients' support system and healthcare team. Demonstrates appropriate use of independent judgement and decision making.
- Participates in planning, implementing and evaluating patient care, under the direct supervision of an RN/Physician. Participates in the development of long- and short-term goals consistent with treatment plans, standards of practice, and the plan of care. Consistently ensures nursing practice is within scope of licensure and compliant with hospital wide standards of nursing care.
Minimum Education: Graduate of an Accredited School of Vocational Nursing or its equivalent required.
Minimum Experience: Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to work variable shifts including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Ability to maintain flexibility and composure in a constantly changing environment. One (1) year of previous experience in a related setting preferred. Bilingual skills to communicate effectively with patients and families preferred.
Req. Certification/Licensure: Active, current, and unencumbered Licensure as a Vocational Nurse in the State of California required. AHA Basic Life Support and IV Certification required. Hospital Fire and Life Safety Card (Los Angeles City Employees only) required. AHA Pediatric Advanced Life Support (Foothill Only) preferred. AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support preferred.