About the Job
Toys For Bob is a stellar team of inventors, makers, and magicians from all over the world who have been developing epic AAA games for far-reaching IPs like Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty, Tony Hawk, and Skylanders since 1989. We are based out of a former military hangar that has been converted into a colorful, tiki-themed, dog-friendly paradise just 20 minutes north of the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge. If you love games and the people who play them; if you are great at what you do and are committed to continual growth, we'd love for you to be part of our family!
- Reporting directly to our Lead Environment Artist, we're looking for a self-driven artist who enjoys handling a wide variety of work, is eager to learn new techniques and tools, has a deep passion for crafting environment art, and has the flexibility to do so in different styles from photo-realistic to stylized.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Research subject matter relating to objectives to ensure an authentic experience.
- Assembles, edits, and optimizes highly detailed 3D environments.
- Create believable, photo-realistic 3D models and textures from concept art and photo reference.
- Budgets time efficiently and has a good feel for how long a task will take them.
- Troubleshoots technical and artistic issues, asks for help when necessary.
- Be a proactive self-starter that can execute high-level art direction with little oversight.
- Communicate effectively with team members, production and management to ensure that project goals are met.
The skills and experience you'll need:
- 3+ total years in the games industry working in an environment art capacity, with at least 1 shipped title in the AAA console / PC space.
- Experience with a level editor (i.e. Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, Radiant, etc.)
- Proven ability to create high-quality assets utilizing multiple major 3D and 2D packages (3DS Max or Maya and Photoshop or Substance) for console hardware (Xbox, PS, PC).
- Understanding of physically based shaders.
- Proficient in next-gen asset creation.
- Egoless attitude that welcomes feedback and criticism, and enjoys working in a collaborative, iterative, and agile process. Shares ownership of work with other artists.
- Impressive communication and strong problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to thrive in a challenging and often ambiguous environment.
- Solid understanding of game art with ability to clearly discuss modern trends.
You'll really catch our eye:
- Familiarity with photogrammetry process, procedural content creation, or PBR workflows.
- Passion for first person shooters.
- Strong traditional art foundation.