Transplant Coordinator/Nurse, Living Donor Kidney Recipient
About the Job
MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute
The MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute (MGTI) is seeking a Transplant Nurse for Living Donor Kidney Program.
MGTI is a proud member of MedStar Health, the premier health system in the Mid-Atlantic region and one of the nation's leaders in solid organ transplants.
MGTI is one of MedStar’s Centers of Excellence and offers evaluation and treatment of advanced liver disease, intestinal disorders, chronic kidney disease and complications of diabetes. Our goal is to restore patients to their optimum level of health and return them to a productive life. We specialize in innovative treatments and provide our patients with access to groundbreaking research and clinical trials.
- Monday - Friday
- Day Shift
General Summary of Position:
Provides professional nursing care for transplant patients following established standards and practices. Functions to advance the clinical mission and goals of the Department of Surgery, MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute through collaborative relationships within the Medical Center. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. B.S.N. preferred.
- LICENSURE AND OR CERTIFICATION: Registered Nurse license in the District of Columbia and Virginia; CPR certification. Certification as a clinical transplant coordinator preferred; otherwise will be expected to become certified when eligible.
- EXPERIENCE: Three years of professional nursing experience; at least 1 year of previous transplant, outpatient, or dialysis experience highly desirable.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care; Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care; Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs professional nursing service in inpatient / outpatient clinical setting including, but not limited to: patient assessment, teaching, discharge planning, and telephone triage.
- Greets patients and prepares them for physician evaluations. Screens patients for appropriate information. Instructs patients in the collection of samples and completion of tests.
- Facilitates the evaluation of both pre and post-transplant patients by interfacing with referring physicians, Transplant hepatologists, Transplant nephrologists, Transplant surgeons, scheduling coordinators, consultants, Insurance coordinators and social workers. Has primary responsibility for the planning, implementation and evaluation of this process.
- Coordinates the complex management and education of patients pre and post-transplant. Communicates with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) to maintain an accurate and current patient waiting list.
- Observes, records, and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians. Dispenses medication as directed. Administers prescribed medications, treatments, and procedures in accordance with nursing standards.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts, and other pertinent information. Posts tests and examination results. Obtains and reviews consent forms, treatment plans, and side effects as appropriate. Discusses potential complications with patient and family.
- Performs patient telephone triage, assesses needs, and coordinates needs with medical staff.
- Educates patient and family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness. Schedules in services and education sessions with patients, families, and healthcare professionals.
- Performs quality control functions of assigned area as directed. Participates in activities to develop and implement quality improvement activities within practice area and maintain collaborative relationships with personnel in other divisions and departments.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures; attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.