Phlebotomist-Plasma Biological Service
About the Job
For more than 75 years, Grifols has worked to improve the health and well-being of people around the world. We are a global healthcare company that produces essential plasma-derived medicines for patients and provides hospitals and healthcare professionals with the tools, information and services they need to deliver expert medical care.
Headquartered in Barcelona, Spain, Grifols has over 20.000 employees in 30 countries. Grifols’ three main divisions - Bioscience, Diagnostic and Hospital - develop, manufacture and market innovative products and services available in more than 100 countries.
A leader in transfusion medicine, the Diagnostic Division is a global business focused on providing innovative solutions to help ensure the safety of the blood and plasma supply, detect human diseases and monitor therapies. The division advances patient care with diagnostic solutions to improve disease detection and management, and simplify laboratory operations.
This position is responsible for the plasmapheresis process to include prepping the donor, performing
venipuncture, operating plasmapheresis collection instruments, monitoring the donation, collecting whole
blood samples, disconnecting the plasma unit, delivering the unit for sampling, and managing donor
adverse events during collection in an automated Source Plasma Center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Performs all responsibilities required by the Floor Technician including the following:
o Escorts donors to and from donor floor
o Installs and disconnects the disposable sets
o Cleans donor bed and scissors or other cutting devices after each donation
• Performs all job duties in a safe manner and uses required personal protective equipment.
• Performs the morning QCs, maintains the daily checks and maintenance/cleaning of the plasma
• Performs vein checks to determine donor suitability. Verifies donor identification, prepares
venipuncture site, and performs the venipuncture.
• Monitors the donor throughout the collection process. Upon completion of the donation, removes the
apheresis needle, wraps the donor’s arm, and escorts the donor to the payout station.
• Collects samples from the donor, as required.
• Responds to donor adverse events per IBBI procedures and under the direction of the Medical Staff.
• Operates equipment, autopheresis instrument, and eProgesa automated system.
• Monitors the collection equipment and responds to any situation that requires troubleshooting.
• Monitors softgoods lot number usage and changes. Stocks released softgoods on the donor floor.
• Performs cleaning tasks according to IBBI procedures and frequency schedules.
• Interacts internally with center IBBI personnel and with donors.
• Follows all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Company policies.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
• Performs other duties as may be required/assigned. (Frequently)
• Interacts with vendors and auditors. (Infrequently)
• Interacts with other Interstate centers and with Corporate personnel. (Infrequently)
• High school diploma or equivalent, required.
• One year of college, technical school, or Associate’s degree preferred.
• Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Explicit attention to detail is required.
• Must have excellent organization and follow-up skills.
• Must have excellent problem-solving skills and ability to analyze situations in a timely manner.
• Must have ability to organize and prioritize work assignments.
• Must have ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have ability to participate in multi-functional teams.
• Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within The Interstate
Companies and provide excellent customer service.
• Proficiency with computers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/TRAVEL:
• Typical work environment with moderate noise level.
• Ability to sit, stand, walk, reach, climb or balance, stoop or crouch, hand/wrist use, talk, see, and hear
for extended periods of time, examples include:
Activity Typical Duties
Reaching Hangs solutions, stocks softgoods
Climbing To remove supplies from shelves
Bending/Stooping/Lifting Sets-up the plasmapheresis collection instrument, hangs solutions,
Standing Performs venipuncture, performs phlebotomy, performs morning QC,
stocks softgoods, monitors donors
Walking Directs donors to and from the donation bed, performs morning QC,
stocks softgoods, prepares for venipuncture
Hand/Wrist Use Installs a set on the plasmapheresis collection instrument, spikes
solutions, venipuncture preparation and performance, seals unit tubing
Observing/Seeing color Donors, center activity, alarms, warning lights on the instruments,
distinguishes color for severity of alarms, distinguishes color of
blood/plasma for unit suitability
Hearing/Listening Listens for donor issues, center activity, hears alarms
Talking/Communicating Explains the rules and process, directs donors on and off the phlebotomy
Time Management Keeps the donor flow consistent, prepares venipuncture site, collects
blood samples, disconnects donors
Focusing Concentrates on the task at hand, minimizes distractions
Reading Instructions, plasmapheresis collection instrument prompts, donor ePro
record files, Job Aids, SOPs, Company policies
• Ability to work with toxic or caustic chemicals 25 - 50 % of the time.
• Have exposure to outdoor weather conditions (shoveling or salting in the case of snowy weather).
• Ability to read and understand documents, such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
instructions, procedure manuals, correspondence.
• Ability to write short correspondence.
• Ability to speak, answer questions, and/or present information in small groups of customers, suppliers,
or employees of the company.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Ability to perform mathematical operations using units of
US dollars, weight measurement, volume, and distance.
• Ability to understand deferral periods.
• Ability to read a calendar, an analog clock, and use a calculator.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
• Ability to deal with problems involving a few variables in routine situations.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Daily attendance is required.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities
to this job at any time.
Location: NORTH AMERICA : USA : KY-Owensboro:IBOWENSB - Owensboro KY-Frederica St-IBBI