Pharmacy Technician II
About the Job
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Pharmacy Technician II.
In this role, the successful candidate Under the immediate direction of a registered pharmacist, the position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations, licensing requirements and professional standards pertaining to storage and inventory control, dispensing and distribution of medication as permitted by the New York State Board of Pharmacy for unlicensed personnel. Operates pharmacy technology and medical systems in filling medication orders. Delivers patient specific medications. Stocks, assembles, and distributes necessary medications. Processes controlled substance requisitions for pharmacist review. Orders and receives shipments.
- Completes annual competency assessments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Checks current inventory to determine drug and products to be ordered. Places orders with drug wholesaler, materials management, or specialty pharmacy supplier. Receives medication and supplies promptly and stores in appropriate areas accurately document receiving of drugs and supplies, alerts Pharmacy manager of problems or discrepancies.
- Prepares and accurately documents batched sterile product compounding under the supervision of a Pharmacist.
- Interacts with health care providers and patients, answers questions and requests, and refers inquiries to a Pharmacist where applicable.
- Answers telephone with courtesy and promptness. Triages phone calls, facilitates medication order workflow, trouble shoots medication order inquiries from nursing.
- Participates in the training of newly hired Pharmacy Technicians based on departmental training guidelines.
- Maintains Pharmacy files for patient medication profiles and pulls these charts for the Pharmacists as needed.
- Demonstrates proficiency with unit dose drug distribution.
- Demonstrates proficiency with Hospital Information System, reviews patient information in the medical record system and prints labels when necessary.
- Demonstrates proficiency when repacking needed doses.
- Cleans, sterilizes, and maintains equipment and work areas according to procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Demonstrates proficiency in aseptic technique and IV room procedures.
- Maintains pharmacy inventory by checking stock; anticipates medication demands based on supply level and removes outdated medications.
- Demonstrates proficiency with medication procurement process, stocking and deliveries to units in a timely manner including pneumatic tube.
- Demonstrates proficiency with applicable Pharmacy technology.
- Demonstrates knowledge of State and Federal laws related to the Medical Centers policy of handling controlled substances.
- Places and expedites orders; verifies receipts; receives shipments as needed.
- Appropriately stores and secures medications.
- Completes Veriform unit inspection assignments and Expiration Tracking Report assignments.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma and 2 years prior experience as a Pharm Tech or have successfully completed the NYU Pharmacy Technician training program. Must have knowledge and understanding of medical and pharmaceutical terminology as well as knowledge of procedures and standards for the labeling and dispensing of drugs. Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures. Excellent organization and communication skills and, strong attention to detail required. Strong background in the use of computers and basic Microsoft programs. CPhT Certification from an agency accredited by National Commission for Certifying Agencies, (NCCA) or equivalent.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.