Government Contracts Specialist
About the Job
At BioServices & Specialty Logistics, we specialize in the management of critical biological materials in support for the advancement of cell therapy, high value biologics, and population-based public health research. We provide customized end-to-end chain of custody solutions for our large pharmaceutical clients and partners in academia and government, ensuring the integrity and efficacy of their valued material from the manufacturer to the bedside. Bioservices & Specialty Logistics is a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science, and member of the Clinical Trials Division of the Pharma Services Group. To learn more please visit www.fisherbioservices.com.
Position Summary: This position is within the BioServices & Specialty Logistics business unit within Clinical Trials Division of the Pharma Services Group of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The Government Contracts Manager will be responsible for reviewing, drafting, negotiating and administering government and related supplier contracts to help grow Bioservices & Specialty Logistics’ business. The Contracts Manager is expected to be a key adviser on government contract issues for Bioservices & Specialty Logistics business and sales organizations. This role requires an individual who understands and has significant experience applying the FAR/DFAR acquisition and procurement regulations to support government contract bids, subcontract negotiations and business development efforts. The Contracts Manager will work cross-functionally with Sales, Client Services, Finance, Operations, Quality, and Legal to negotiate and close contracts that meet company policy and legal requirements and achieve profitable growth for BioServices & Specialty Logistics. The Contracts Manager will negotiate contractual terms and conditions, and will be responsible for developing negotiation strategies jointly with the government team, obtaining leadership approvals and coordinating with multiple resources (e.g., Client Services, Finance, Legal, Operations, Quality, and Sales). The Contracts Manager also will prepare and communicate to appropriate personnel summaries of material contract terms and will develop and administer a process for filing, tracking and managing final agreements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review, draft, negotiate and administer government contracts on behalf of BioServices & Specialty Logistics in accordance with organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Support responses to RFPs, requests for quotes, requests for information and similar competitive RFP documentation.
- Identify and communicate risk areas throughout the lifecycle of an RFP, award, and negotiation.
- Perform processing of contracts for BioServices & Specialty Logistics, including internal department review processes such as the legal language, scope of work, compensation, payment schedule, and discount schedule, as well as assembly of the final contract package for each customer/supplier and/or project.
- Perform risk assessment of proposed terms and conditions and develop recommendations to minimize their potential risk to the business.
- Recommend policies and procedures to effect the timely execution of contracts, including letters of intent, confidentiality agreements, master services agreements, statements of work /work orders, individual project agreements, quotes, letters of indemnification, and supplier agreements.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Basic Minimum Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill or ability required
- Requires complete understanding of the Federal Governments Contracting process.
- Requires knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations.
- Experience leading contract award negotiations, contract closeout, and pre and post RFP activities.
- Requires outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships and interact with individuals at all levels including senior management and applicable government officials
- Customer oriented with collaborative communication and problem-solving skills, solid organization skills, expert administrative skills, detail orientation and a drive to continuously improve.
- Clear and persuasive communicator, orally and in writing.
- Requires demonstrated knowledge of business law terminology enabling a comprehensive review and commentary of business contracts.
- Requires demonstrated proficiency with the latest MS Office products, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and related electronic tools for editing, documenting, tracking and communicating.
- Requires a sense of urgency and self-management due to considerable timeline pressures.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, taking initiative and willingness to improve or implement new processes and procedures is key
- Requires a BS/BA with 8+ years experience as a government contracts manager or specialist. Advance degree preferred.
- Requires substantive experience managing, reviewing, revising and negotiating government and commercial contracts.
- Requires experience with Federal Acquisition Regulations and the following types of contracts: Cost Reimbursement, IDIQ, Competitive, CPFF, CPAF, Firm-Fixed Price.
- Prefer work experience within the Bio-Technology, Life Sciences or Pharmaceutical industries.
Certificates and/ or Licenses:
Prefer Certified Professional Federal Contracts Manager (CPFCM) designation.
8:00AM to 5:00PM core hours, additional hours as required. 10% Travel may be required.
Work Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Ability to work on occasion in a cold environment with exposure to dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and infectious agents, marked changes in temperature.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to use a computer up to 8 hours per day.