GENERAL LABOURER CANADA – TRACK MAINTENANCE – ALBERTA
About the Job
Job Title: General Laborer
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Reports to: Assistant Manager, Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent
Join our dyanmic teams!
The General Laborer (GL) is responsible for safely and efficiently supporting crew members with the operation and maintenance of Loram’s maintenance machines, equipment, and on track vehicles in accordance to guidelines set forth by the FRA, our customers, and Loram’s rules and standard operating practices.
BONUSES of $500 after 3 months of continuous employment and another $500 after 6 months of employment!
If you apply for this position, the beginning stages of communication will be conducted via email. Please check your email regularly. If your skills match our requirements, next steps are to watch a presentation we send and take an assessment.
THIS POSITION STARTS AT $20.00 PER HOUR WITH GENEROUS OVER TIME ON ROTATION WITH PAID TRAVEL
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Able to read, understand, and follow, safety rules and regulations and perform tasks in accordance with those rules
- Understands on track safety and can explain the 10 on track safety questions when asked
- Able to locate all emergency equipment and demonstrate correct operation to superintendent
- Must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take safe responsible action when/if required
Machine Operations and Technical Knowledge
- Able to explain basic equipment functions - Operational activity
- Inspects, cleans, and lubricates the machine to identify problems, defects, changes, and hazards; then communicate conditions to the operator or supervisor – General Maintenance activity
- Demonstrates general knowledge of tools and uses them safely – Maintenance tools
- Performs maintenance and repair according to set schedules and policies – Planned Maintenance tasks
Communicating on the Job
- Understands and applies verbal/written instructions and asks clarifying questions to ensure understanding before beginning tasks
- Effectively use a radio to indicate when to start, stop, or changes in a job task
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as a contributing member of a team
- Consistently and reliably reports to work on time, including reporting back to work from time off
- Safety Awareness
- Values Based
- Learning on the Fly
- Action Oriented
- Personal Learning
1+ Years Demonstrated technical skills such as mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and machine operations. 1+ Years Demonstrated ability to learn communicate verbally and in writing and learn best practices
Licenses/Certifications: Must be able to obtain and maintain the required Loram rules certification, medical examinations, Maintain Railroad Certifications, CPR/First Aid, valid Driver’s License
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience
Education: Associates Degree in Technical Certification
Experience: Experience working within the rail, construction, mining, or heavy machine operating industries.
This position is considered a safety sensitive role. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel for long periods of time
Ability to lift tools and equipment of 75lbs or greater
Can hang onto grab irons or ladders, sometimes for extended periods of time
Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception
- Must be able to travel 100% of the time, including international, using any method of transportation
- Must be able to perform physically strenuous work outdoors in all types of weather
- Work will require extended time away from home.
- Must be available to work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights for long periods of time.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning