Asst Nurse Manager, Cardiac Cath Lab
About the Job
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Assistant Nurse Manager.
In this role, the successful candidate Provides clinical leadership and management for a designated time period (shift) for a patient care unit (or clinical service in operative and ambulatory settings), consistent with the philosophy and goals of the institution, Departments of Nursing, unit, or program. Assists the Nurse Manager to develop and sustain an environment of excellence in patient / family service, growth and development of staff, and to apply evidence based practice to improve patient care.
- Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise, critical thinking and related experience in all aspects of nursing process in the care of patients and families.
- Asumes responsibility for clinical operations of the unit for the designated shift, collaborating with nursing leadership for patient admission, transfer, and discharge activity.
- Provides direct patient care as needed to support the clinical operations of the unit.
- Demonstrates awareness and recognition of the clinical plan of care on a twenty-four hour continuum. Ensures and participates in providing ongoing patient / family education to facilitate discharge planning consistent with the individual needs of the patient/family.
- Assists in facilitating a collaborative interdisciplinary approach to achieve optimal patient care outcomes.
- Serves as a role model for staff in considering needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups. Serves on the Airway Team as designated, and responds to clinical or other emergencies as needed.
- Participates in the development, promulgation, and implementation of process standards for the delivery of patient care relevant to area of practice.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department, unit, and service line.
- Assists Nurse Manager with scheduling and staffing for optimal availability of resources. Establishes, and adjusts as needed, the assignment of nursing staff to patients based on unit specific standards, staff competency, and acuity of patients. Provides leadership for coordination of unit activity, serving as a role model and resource during a designated period of time (shift).
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team. Ensures pertinent communication of patient care and unit related issues from nursing staff on surrounding shifts. Coordinates patient care services for optimal efficiency with nursing leadership and other disciplines as indicated.
- Coordinates unit response to emergent patient and unit or clinical service events, communicating expeditiously with other leadership and response teams (airway, fire, etc.). Communicates significant patient care issues, family concerns, safety, and critical events to leadership on duty at the time, seeks consultation and assistance when indicated, and reports to the Nurse Manager or Director in timely manner.
- Identifies, initiates investigation and proactively responds on an immediate basis to potential and actual risk management issues per standards and institutional policies, reporting same to Nurse Manager and to leadership on duty as indicated. Works with the Nurse Manager and other nursing leadership to facilitate and support a 24 hour environment conducive to creativity in practice and cooperation with all members of the health care team. Participates in interviewing and selecting staff for the unit or clinical service.
- Guides, develops, and counsels staff regarding practice and performance standards. Seeks consultation from the leadership on duty in implementing disciplinary measures of an imminent nature, using principles of the caring, fair, and professional work environment. Communicates regularly with the Nurse Manager regarding matters of patient safety, clinical practice, staff performance, and participates in the implementation of staff improvement plans. Provides input to and participates in informal and formal review of performance standards of staff assigned to the designated shift.
- Promotes patient, physician and other consumer satisfaction by facilitating excellent customer service by all members of the health care team. Assists with compliance with standards and regulations of agencies pertinent to the unit or clinical service. Demonstrates a spirit of collaboration and effective cooperation with other Departments regarding clinical activity of other units in the service and hospital. Provides leadership support of other unit(s) in the service on weekends and holidays.
- Collaborates with the Nurse Manager and Instructor in identifying, addressing, and utilizing available resources to meet the learning needs of professional and ancillary staff members.
- Participates in developing the unit milieu supportive of education and development of the nursing staff and other health care providers, consistent with the goals of a learning organization.
- Facilitates attendance and participation by staff in educational offerings.
- Participates in evaluating the effectiveness of education and development activities in achieving desired outcomes.
- Initiates professional development plan to improve and sustain clinical and leadership competency.
- Serves as a support and resource for the education of health care providers as may occur during the designated shift.
- Collaborates with Nurse Manager and other nursing leadership to support the unit-based quality and performance improvement program consistent with the service and departmental plan.
- Participates in the implementation of action plans and identifies new opportunities for improvement.
- Fosters an environment that promotes patient/family, physician and staff satisfaction, and communicates issues and concerns to Nurse Manager.
- Maintains awareness of research protocols applicable to unit, ensures knowledge of staff, protects rights of patients, and participates in assessment/evaluation of outcomes.
- Participates in and fosters staff involvement in evidence based practice and other nursing research efforts.
- Provides clinical leadership by assessing, implementing and evaluating the care provided to patients and families in the designated unit.
To qualify you must have a Current Registered Professional Nurse in New York. Baccalaureate degree in Nursing required. A minimum of two years of clinical practice in the care of the patient population served; ability to apply nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion which addresses patient/family satisfaction; Progressive advancement on the clinical ladder, demonstrated in achievement of at least Nurse Clinician, and preferably Senior Nurse Clinician level. Demonstrates the potential for leadership by serving competently as group practice leader, resource nurse, or charge; demonstrates ability to develop, guide, motivate, nurture, and coach others; participates in service or departmental committees, staff and/or patient education programs. Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and creative problem solving; Membership in pertinent professional organizations.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.