Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is a Fortune 100, world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $40 billion. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 100,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit .
This role will perform the critical tasks of drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial and intellectual property-focused agreements supporting the complex and dynamic Genetic Sciences Group (GSG) of Thermo Fisher, including its Genetic Analysis Division (GAD) and qPCR Platform and Genetic Testing Solutions business units. Draft and negotiate agreements with large industry-leading pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, research and manufacturing companies, research institutes, laboratories, healthcare organizations, and large-scale clinical customers, among others.
You will assist business units within GSG to sell products and perform services; exploit opportunities based on technology owned by our Company or third parties; purchase raw materials and services and resolve commercial or other legal disputes. Provide strategic assistance on business matters while supporting the Director, Corporate Counsel and the Genetic Sciences Group Legal Department to counsel business executives and global associates on a range of substantive legal areas.
- Serve as a key point of contact for Genetic Analysis Division (GAD) and qPCR Platform and Genetic Testing Solutions business units; support and provide legal expertise to enable the business to grow.
- Draft, negotiate, and, if appropriate, seek approval for the execution of a range of commercial contracts, including third party OEM and supply contracts, technology in-licenses, out-licenses, technical collaborations, joint development agreements, quality agreements, term sheets and other commercial agreements of varying complexity, as needed.
- Seek and provide appropriate guidance and involvement of/to other relevant functions, such as regulatory, intellectual property, licensing, business development, purchasing, accounting, sales, product management and marketing, and facilitate the approval of the appropriate management.
- Draft contract amendments and negotiate directly with external customers, collaborating with internal counsel as required.
- Perform analysis on legal rights, obligations, and strategies to help the Company achieve its commercial goals and objectives.
- Participate in due diligence and other activities relating to M&A and integration activities.
- Develop new and update existing contractual documents and constantly work with the business on improving processes to ensure efficient support.
- Train internal clients on risk management and how to best engage with the Legal team.
This position interacts with personnel at all levels of the Company as well as with external customers and requires the ability to understand and frame legal and related business issues to successfully prepare, review and negotiate commercial agreements, and resolve disputes. Effectiveness in this role requires an understanding of the GSG's operations and product lines as well as a thorough working knowledge of contract, corporate and intellectual property law. Perform duties proactively and independently with minimal instruction given on new projects or assignments. Job requires ability to work through and resolve problems of highly diverse scope and moderate to high complexity. Multiple tasks must often be performed contemporaneously, involving commitments of moderate levels of funds or other resources, and requiring understanding of issues surrounding personnel, finance, contracts, corporate structure, and technology. Attention to detail, ability to prioritize, and understanding of when to seek advice from or raise matters with Legal Department leadership, company executives or other company personnel, or external consultants is crucial.
- Bachelor’s degree
- J.D. degree and admission to state bar is required.
- Experience working in life sciences is preferred, but not required.
- Basic working knowledge of intellectual property law.
- 3+ years of relevant legal experience, including contract preparation, negotiation and related activities resulting in a strong, experienced working knowledge of contract law and risk allocation.
- Commercial experience and working knowledge of standard business processes is essential.
- Excellent writing, negotiation and interpersonal skills are required.